Arbroath 2
Livingston 2
Scottish League (Second Division)

2 - 2

Scottish League (Second Division)
Saturday, November 14th, 1998
Attendance: 810
3:00 PM Kick-off

John McGlashan (1)
David Arbuckle (61)
Paul Deas (45)
David Bingham (51)

Team Managers
Dave Baikie
Ray Stewart

Starting Eleven
Craig Hinchcliffe
Jon Crawford
Steve Florence
John Gallagher
David Arbuckle
Barry Sellars
Craig Cooper
John McGlashan
John McAulay
Jim Mercer
Colin McGlashan
Neil Alexander
Sean Sweeney
Neil Bennett
Paul Deas
Gregg Watson
Jimmy Boyle
Charlie King
John Millar
Jim Sherry
John Robertson
David Bingham

Dougie Scott
Kevin Tindal
Neil Thomson
Brian McPhee
Mark McCormick
Frank Conway

Neil Thomson for David Arbuckle (88)
Dougie Scott for Jim Mercer (89)
Brian McPhee for John Robertson (64)
Mark McCormick for Neil Bennett (74)
Frank Conway for Paul Deas (88)

David Arbuckle (4)
John McAulay (81)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Dougie McDonald (Referee)

Match Report

Reading the Newspaper reports they state that the corrosion of the metal and concrete by the sea is the cause of the closure of the two stands - it now sounds as if it is two of the covered enclosures which are being closed - if so the club should rip them down and let the fans stand in the open behind the goals - absolutely farcical when one looks at the state of Recreation Park last week when Mercer and Crawford nearly killed themselves in the building site behind the goal which Alloa were defending in the first half. If the Cooncil rejects the planning permission for the new ground when it comes before them in early December we r doomed - cannae play at Gayfield and cannae sell it and build a new stadium.

Forgetting the camera for the shots of the closed off stands, I headed to Gayfield with the knowledge that "Vinnie" Jones was definitely suspended and expected Scott Peters to be taking his place in the centre of defence though was not sure whether or not Stevie Florence would be man marking John Robertson. After a quick pint in Tutties it was into the ground to view the closed off areas - a quarter of the harbour end covered enclosure was cordoned off (the area underneath the 3 three seaward pillars where I normally stand at that end) along with a sixth of the sea side enclosure (the last three pillars at the Dundee end). It was only the area from the pillars to the back wall which was closed off and fans could walk, or stand, in front of the close areas. Dave Baikie had decided not to follow my guidance (that’s why he is manager and I am not) and pushed Stevie Florence into the centre of defence, Gallagher was pushed back to left back and Craig Cooper was brought into the team on the right wing.

We were playing towards the "Switchie" end and as I handed over the £100 received so far towards the Web sponsorship of David Arbuckle (only another £150 needed) the Lichties got a free kick on our right, Gallagher’s cross caused a stramash in the penalty box and eventually John McGlashan toe poked the ball home to put us one up after 1 minute. This shocked the League leaders into action and soon they were mounting wave after wave of attack whilst we were content with holding our ground and attacking on the break. Cooper was looking as if he was back to full fitness though he was not getting the quality ball to allow him to break up the wing. There was a bit of frantic defending where John McAulay’s ball distribution was dire with every long pass ending up at an opponent, his kicking ability was matched by Hinchie, who pulled off a few good saves but his clearances were much to be desired to put it politely. "Web player" Arbuckle got booked just outside our box for a tackle in which he won the ball and cleared. Colin McG was taking some hard knocks from their defenders and we came close on a couple of occasions, Stevie Florence appeared to be man marking John Robertson as the former Scotland player was not getting a sniff of the ball. We got back into the game and a Gallagher free kick found Cooper on the right, his pass to Colin McG was fed back to Gal whose superb shot was pushed over the bar by their keeper. It was end to end stuff with more saves from Hinchie, some good defending and at the other end Cooper broke free on a couple of occasions but was closed down. Following another break down our right, Mercer beat a couple of players, ran into the box, tried to cross the defender blatantly handled his cross, the referee appeared to miss it and the linesman must have been having a kip as, from our position it was a stonewall penalty. The crowd roared abuse at the referee. Cooper was now having some good runs (no falling over today), Crawford had a good bit of play at the left side of their penalty box, following a free kick on the right, and after beating a defender his cross was passed back to Colin McG whose shot was poor and collected by the keeper. Just before half time Livingston got a corner on our right, no Arbroath player picked up the defender who collected the short corner, the ball was crossed, broke free to the opposition and Hinchie could not save his shot and we went in one all at half time. Another superb display and we should have been ahead!

We had to change ends behind the stand due to the closed off area, I was only 8 tickets away from winning a massive £33 on the half time draw (see Committee answers - volunteers needed). No changes at half time. "Vinnie" Jones, Mark McWalter and former player "Godfather" McVicar were standing in front of us behind the goals, and the second half started with end to end stuff though the majority of times it was at the other end. Coop was getting more of the ball this half and Arbuckle had a great run from the middle of the park, however with Coop to his right and Colin McG to his left he held onto the ball too long, lost it, they ran upfield, John McGlashan was adjudged to have fouled when he body checked the attacker and from the free kick the ball was crossed from the Livingston right and headed behind Hinchie to put us 2-1 down. This spurred is into action and Coop was far more menacing down the right wing this half. From a Coop corner the ball was passed to "Web Player" David Arbuckle whose shot from 35 years out was one of the finest goals seen at Gayfield for many a year - the keeper had no chance! It was now back to the walls stuff as the full time Livingston players sought a winner with us counter attacking on the break. Hinchie, McAulay, Crawford and Florence were now playing the game of their lives ably assisted by the rest of their team-mates. A break by Sellars down our right saw him pass the ball to Colin McG whose back flick found Cooper but alas it was on his left foot instead of his right and he shot wide. Hinchie had another superb save (why Celtic have not gone for him instead of Liverpool’s 4th choice keeper only Dr Jo knows!), Cooper was definitely up for the game and had a couple of superb chasing runs after the ball which caused panic in the opposition defence, the ball was cleared off our line with the Livi fans celebrating goal, Sellars was brought down in the penalty area but the ref from Edinburgh was not going to give us a penalty today. Arbuckle was substituted by Thomson and received one of the longest ovations received at Gayfield for many a year and we held out to record a worth draw.

Another superb performance like last week’s though this time the opposition was Livingston who spent £1 million on players in the summer and are full time. We now have a team which could go somewhere just over 18 months since finishing bottom of the Third Division - all thanks to Dave Baikie.

Match report written by

Squad Statistics (as at November 14th, 1998)

1998-99 All Time
Craig Hinchcliffe (GK)26 12 - 85 -
Steve Florence27 14 - 2394
Jon Crawford29 17 - 1174
John Gallagher29 14413911
John McAulay26 1711355
John McGlashan31 122122
Craig Cooper25 41369
Barry Sellars22 131151
David Arbuckle25 7171
Colin McGlashan34 6363
Jim Mercer24 161161
Dougie Scott (sub)34 10 - 22 -
Neil Thomson (sub)29 15 - 524

League Table (as at November 14th, 1998)

No league table has been added for this season.