Bo'ness United 0
Arbroath 5
Scottish Cup (Fourth Round)


0 - 5


Scottish Cup (Fourth Round)
Saturday, November 29th, 2014
Newtown Park
Attendance: 1,769
1:30 PM Kick-off

None. Simon Murray (27)
Paul McManus (68)
Simon Murray (69)
Simon Murray (75)
Paul McManus (76)

Team Managers
Allan McGonigal Allan Moore

Starting Eleven
Mark Peat
Will Snowdon
Chris Donnelly
Ross Campbell
Stuart Hunter
Ian Nimmo
Nicky Walker
Ross Philp
Kieran Anderson
Scott Pittman
Darren Gribben
Marc McCallum
Jordan Lowdon
Aldin El-Zubaidi
Ricky Little
Kevin Nicoll
Scott McBride
Mark Whatley
Adam Hunter
Bobby Linn
Paul McManus
Simon Murray

Mark Cowan
Connor Wallace
Colin Leiper
Paul Murphy
Andy Scott
Robert Sloan
Scott Morrison
Craig Johnstone
Johnny Lindsay
Kieran Stewart
Michael Wallace
Jack Smith
Kevin Buchan

Mark Cowan for Chris Donnelly (60)
Andy Scott for Kieran Anderson (63)
Craig Johnstone for Jordan Lowdon (53)
Jack Smith for Simon Murray (77)
Kevin Buchan for Paul McManus (81)

Darren Gribben (64) Kevin Nicoll (42)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Craig Charleston (Referee)
David McGeachie & Ivan Stankovic (Assistants)

Photography by Graham Black

Match Report

Arbroath travelled down to Bo’ness to take on Super League Champions Bo’ness United in a potential banana skin in the 4th round of the Scottish Cup. Arbroath were looking to proceed into the 5th round for the first time in 21 years with Bo’ness already making their own history by making it to the 4th round for the first time in their 69 years as a club.

Bo’ness was dry and clear compared to the rain and fog left behind in Arbroath. Newtown Park is a small ground but with a beautiful wide pitch and terracing stepping down towards the pitch it puts many clubs in the league to shame. The Arbroath support were in one small section creating a great atmosphere as the home support soon started to fill their 3 sides leaving a healthy crowd of just under 1,800 ready for kick off.

Arbroath made one change from last’s weeks win over Clyde with Captain Kevin Nicoll returning from suspension with Keiran Stewart dropping down to the bench. Arbroath lined up with McCallum in goal with Little, Nicoll, El-Zubaidi and McBride in defence with Linn, Whatley, Hunter and Lowdon in midfield with Murray starting up front with McManus.

Arbroath kicked off the match shooting towards the large home support who were in fine voice as they looked to cheer their team on to a cup shock. The home support voices were given more fuel when Kieran Anderson had an early attempt before Nicky Walker picked up the ball in his own half and ran at the Arbroath defence before finding room to strike but his shot lacked the skill and poise of his run, but Bo’ness were clearly ahead with the early pressure including several corner kicks. Nicky Walker’s pace in particular giving the Arbroath defenders cause for concern.

With the early pressure dealt with it was the passing movement of Arbroath that signalled a change in possession as the Lichties soon started to find more joy with neat passing moves rather than the high balls they were forced into playing in the early minutes.

Simon Murray had Arbroath’s first real chance when he met Bobby Linn’s cross but he scored just 60 seconds later when he broke down the right before the ball made its way over to Jordan Lowdon on the left and once it was played back into the box Bobby Linn struck a shot, but it was partially blocked but a lapse in communication between defender and keeper allowed Murray to sneak in and he made no mistake from 5 yards out to put the Lichties a goal to the good.

Jordan Lowdon was unlucky when he exchanged a few passes with Murray and McManus but he was blocked from getting a shot on goal. The game could have changed entirely when Gribben found the back of the net but as the home fans erupted they were soon silenced as the linesman had flagged moments earlier for offside. As play now opened up Simon Murray almost danced past three defenders but was robbed of the ball just as he was about to strike by a great challenge from Will Snowdon. The first half came to an end with Kevin Nicoll being shown a yellow card for a foul on Ian Nimmo.

Half time - Bo’ness United 0 – 1 Arbroath

The Bo’ness supporters would have been proud of their teams first half performance and with only a goal separating the teams and with the BBC cameras once again deciding to take position behind the Arbroath goal they were no doubt hoping for a shock, but it was Arbroath who threatened first in the second half when a Bobby Linn header from a Paul McManus cross went wide of Peat’s goal.

Arbroath won their first corner of the game before Allan Moore made his first change of the game. Jordan Lowdon was replaced with Craig Johnstone as McBride moved up the wing with Johnstone taking his place at left back trying to nullify the threat of Walker.

The momentum of the game had definitely swung in the favour of Arbroath, with several more corners being conceded by Bo’ness which prompted the BU manager Allan McGonigal to make two changes with Scott and Cowan replacing Donnelly and Anderson. The changes combined with Johnstone nullifying the threat of Walker it was Arbroath who really started to press and Scott McBride hit a header over the bar from a free kick after Darren Gribben fouled Bobby Linn which also resulted in a yellow card for the former Lichtie.

The second Arbroath goal finally came in the 67th minute when Mark Whatley played in Simon Murray and as he broke into the Bo’ness box he crossed to find Paul McManus who tapped in.

As the game restarted Bo’ness must have still been switched off as Kevin Nicoll fed through to Simon Murray who broke in space and fired past Mark Peat from 14 yards to put Arbroath in a comfortable position.

Cracks started to appear with Gribben almost knocking the head from one of his own supporters as he cleared after being put under pressure. The combination of Johnstone and McBride on the left was really working well and it was Johnstone who fed in Simon Murray and as Mark Peat rushed out Murray sidestepped him to his left before making his way towards the open goal but showed a calm head and great composure to also beat Hunter who had rushed back to try and defend as Murray rolled the ball into the back of the net to secure his first ever professional hat trick.

As the game was restarted you could have been mistaken for a case of Déjà vu as Bobby Linn fed in Paul McManus to an identical position as Murray a minute earlier and again the outrushing Peat was caught outside his box with McManus free to net into an empty goal to score his 14th of the season and his 7th in the Scottish Cup so far.

As Jack Smith and Kevin Buchan came on the travelling Lichties got to acknowledge McManus and Murray as they made way before they were serenaded by applause as they warmed down.

The game was over but Jack Smith almost got on the scoresheet as he threw himself at a cross only to miss by a hair.

Fulltime - Bo’ness United 0 – 5 Arbroath

To those not in attendance the score line looks like a whitewash but in truth the first 40 minutes showed exactly why Bo’ness have done so well in recent years in winning the Super League Championships. A great blend of experienced professionals with some exciting direct players and a huge home support which is the dream of so many league teams. They are a good team and no doubt will get back to winning ways very soon.

For Arbroath the management team have to be proud of how the players approached the game and in particular the second half performance. The years of playing together really showed how fluid the partnership of Johnstone and McBride and no doubt will give the manager another welcome headache. It’s hard to praise just one player as the team all performed but Simon Murray and Paul McManus are creating a deadly partnership with 24 goals between them and it’s not even December.

The draw will take place on Monday at 2pm with Arbroath looking forward to a 5th round tie in February. There is no reason why we couldn’t make it past that!

Match report written by Arbroath FC Official Website

Squad Statistics (as at November 29th, 2014)

2014-15 All Time
Marc McCallum (GK)21 3 - 3 -
Jordan Lowdon22 7 - 7 -
Ricky Little25 13 - 24 -
Aldin El-Zubaidi19 161161
Adam Hunter21 151151
Mark Whatley24 19 - 19 -
Scott McBride25 194336
Kevin Nicoll28 17 - 33 -
Bobby Linn29 1935810
Simon Murray22 19111911
Paul McManus31 19143420
Craig Johnstone (sub)30 10 - 10 -
Jack Smith (sub)19 6161
Kevin Buchan (sub)20 194194

League Table (as at November 29th, 2014)

No league table has been added for this season.