Arbroath 1
Queen's Park 2
Scottish League (League Two)

1 - 2
Queen's Park 

Scottish League (League Two)
Saturday, November 8th, 2014
Attendance: 737
3:00 PM Kick-off

Paul McManus (82)
Shaun Fraser (2)
Kevin Fotheringham (79)

Team Managers
Allan Moore
Gus MacPherson

Starting Eleven
Scott Morrison
Aldin El-Zubaidi
Ricky Little
Dylan Carreiro
Adam Hunter
Scott McBride
Kevin Nicoll
Mark Whatley
Bobby Linn
Paul McManus
Simon Murray
William Muir
Shaun Rooney
Scott Gibson
Bryan Wharton
David MacGregor
Sean Burns
Patrick Slattery
Paul Woods
Darren Miller
Shaun Fraser
Jon Carter

Lenny Wilson
Craig Johnstone
Johnny Lindsay
Jordan Lowdon
Kieran Stewart
Kevin Buchan
Jack Smith
Sam George
Gavin Mitchell
Anthony Gunn
Connor McVey
Ross McPherson
Ciaran McElroy
Kevin Fotheringham

Kevin Buchan for Simon Murray (59)
Jack Smith for Ricky Little (73)
Kevin Fotheringham for Sean Burns (72)
Ciaran McElroy for Paul Woods (79)
Ross McPherson for Jon Carter (89)

Bobby Linn (26)
Kevin Nicoll (55)
Adam Hunter (87)
Ciaran McElroy (85)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Euan Anderson (Referee)
Anthony Cooper & Jordan Stokoe (Assistants)

Match Report

Arbroath returned to League action against Queen’s Park who are guided by the experienced Gus McPherson and were undefeated in the league since August.

Arbroath were forced into a change of keeper due to the bad injury David Crawford sustained last weekend so Scott Morrison came in along with Dylan Carreiro and Adam Hunter to replace Jordan Lowdon and Keiran Stewart respectively. Arbroath lined up with Morrison in goals and Little and McBride at right and left backs with Nicoll and El-Zubaidi as the central defenders. Carreiro and Linn were the wingers with Hunter and Whatley playing in midfield but in reality it was more of a diamond formation supporting McManus and Murray up front.

A familiar face was on the bench as last seasons Under 19 goalkeeper, Lenny Wilson came in as a trialist keeper. He was on the bench with Buchan, Stewart, Lowdon, Jack Smith, Johnstone and Lindsay.

Arbroath were piped onto the pitch by the Caledonian Cowboy with young mascot Charlotte Taylor from Carnoustie before a minutes silence in honour of Remembrance Day.

Queen’s Park kicked off towards the habour end and before most supporters had made the change of ends Arbroath were already a goal down. Queen’s Shaun Rooney crossed into the box where Shaun Fraser tapped in as the Arbroath defenders were caught sleeping. Not the start that anyone could have possibly imagined! It seemed like Arbroath hadn’t got going and although Arbroath won a corner soon after, but the spark seemed missing early on. Paul McManus had a good shout for a penalty kick in the 5th minute when he seemed to be caught by McGregor, but it was Queen’s who pushed on and Morrison was forced into saving a long range effort from Woods. Arbroath pushed on and Linn, Carreiro and Murray all had efforts on goal but still no vital goal.

It was fair to say Referee Euan Anderson wasn’t making any new friends in the Arbroath supporters who were counting up the fouls not awarded, but it was in the 25th minute when things really turned. Bobby Linn on another bursting run went sprinting into the box and looked to have been fouled but the referee instead pulled out a yellow card and deemed Linn to have dived, but this seemed to spur Linn on and a minute later Muir pulled out a great save as Linn’s shot was saved from 18 yards out.

Queen’s Park were always there ready to pounce and although Arbroath seemed to be making space on each wing, it was the final ball into the box that was lacking and Queen’s had done their homework and every time the won possession back they tried to break quickly and moved the ball up field. Simon Murray had a decent shout for a penalty kick as he was also brought down, but the referee didn't look like giving anything away all day.

Arbroath’s best effort of the first half was when a Whatley pass was slid through to McManus who dinked it onto Murray who beat the Queen’s defender, but then cut back to give himself time to position a shot but it was just the final shot which went over.

Half time – Arbroath 0 – 1 Queen’s Park

It had been a dark wet afternoon at Gayfield and as the second half kicked off the rain just seemed to get heavier with each passing minute. Arbroath started the half lively with Simon Murray winning an early free kick just outside the box. As McBride, Hunter and Linn stood over the ball it was Linn who struck it but it was no match for Muir. Queen’s Park had a shot from distance but Darren Miller’s strike was punched away for a corner by Scott Morrison as conditions got worse.

Simon Murray again was causing the defence all sorts of problems and was put in on goals from Linn but it was a hard angle and the resultant shot went wide, but the two linked up again just moments later this time down the other wing but Murray forcing Muir into saving for a corner kick. Kevin Nicoll was the first booking of the game with a foul on Shaun Rooney. Darren Miller had another long range effort which Scott Morrison saved at the second time of asking as the ball slid and slided on the soaked surface.

The best move of the match for Arbroath should have resulted in a goal. Murray broke free and ran into the box towards goal and as Muir ran out towards him he unselfishly passed into the unmarked McManus who had the goal at his Mercy but as Muir threw himself towards the feet of McManus he pulled his shot wide. So close!
Each team started to freshen things up with Buchan coming on for Murray in the 59th minute, before Queen’s Park could bring on Kevin Fotheringham for Sean Burns Arbroath almost grabbed a goal when Muir flapped at a corner kick. As Queen’s made their first change Jack Smith also made a welcome return as he replaced Ricky Little. Scott Morrison kept Arbroath in the game as he threw himself to Darren Miller’s snapshot effort palming the fierce strike round the post for a corner, but as Queen’s brought on McElroy for Woods they were also soon celebrating their second goal.

They broke up the right wing before being allowed to pass to the back post and with no Ricky Little covering Fotheringham connected with his shot coming in off the underside of the bar to put Queen’s in a strong position to take all three points. However Arbroath were resolute and had pulled back a goal with 2 minutes when a beautiful delicate lobbed pass from Jack Smith found Paul McManus at the back posted and he headed in for his 11th goal of the season.

Arbroath threw everything at Queen’s Park and were inches away from an equaliser when Dylan Carreiro managed to shoot but as it went wide Paul McManus threw himself at it near the post but he just failed to connect.

Match report written by Arbroath FC Official Website

Squad Statistics (as at November 8th, 2014)

2014-15 All Time
Scott Morrison (GK)33 3 - 78 -
Aldin El-Zubaidi19 131131
Ricky Little25 10 - 21 -
Dylan Carreiro19 7474
Adam Hunter21 121121
Scott McBride25 163305
Kevin Nicoll28 15 - 31 -
Mark Whatley24 16 - 16 -
Bobby Linn29 162559
Paul McManus31 16113117
Simon Murray22 166166
Kevin Buchan (sub)20 164164
Jack Smith (sub)19 3131

League Table (as at November 8th, 2014)

No league table has been added for this season.